Resources for Researching Dreiser:
Dreiser Web Sites:
Publications on Dreiser:
- Dreiser Online, a web site hosted by Roger W. Smith, provides comprehensive coverage of Dreiser's life and work, including a bibliography, a genealogy, and a chronology.
- Dreiser Bibliography and Resources, a web site maintained by Donna Campbell, providing links to collections, web sources, and online versions of Dreiser's works.
- The Dreiser Collection at Penn is housed at the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts (University of Pennsylvania). It includes an overview of the Dreiser collection, scholarly essays, a bibliography of works by and about Dreiser, facsimiles, and photographs.
- The Online Theodore Dreiser: A Primary and Secondary Bibliography brings together in one place all that is known about primary and secondary materials concerning Dreiser.
- The Dreiser Collection at the Clifton Waller Barrett Library of American Literature at the University of Virginia, including the manuscript of Jennie
Gerhardt and the galley proofs of An American Tragedy.
- The Dreiser Collection at The Lilly Library (Indiana University), including letters, the manuscript of Dawn, materials on Dreiser’s brother Paul, and letters to Dreiser’s first wife, Sara Osborne White. It is divided into five collections: Dreiser mss., 1931, Dreiser mss. II, 1896-1910, Dreiser mss. III, 1928-1945, Dreiser mss. IV, 1894-1951, Dreiser mss. V, 1871-1945.
- The H. L. Mencken Collection housed in The Manuscripts and Archives Division at the New York Public Library includes the holographs of Sister Carrie
and The Hand of the Potter.
- The papers of Robert H. Elias at Cornell University Library include letters as well as the papers of Robert H. Elias.
- The Theodore Dreiser Collection at the Robert W. Woodruff Library (Emory University) is home to Vera Dreiser's papers—a plaster death mask and cast of Dreiser’s right hand (made by Edgardo Simone) are included in this collection.
Publications on Dreiser:
- The Dreiser Newsletter (1970-1986, Online): The Dreiser Newsletter was published from the spring of 1970 until the fall of 1986. Issues of the newsletter are available on this web site as PDF files.
- Dreiser Studies (1987-2005, Online): Effective summer 2006, Dreiser Studies was continued as Studies in American Naturalism.
- Dreiser Society Newsletter (1991-1997, Online): The newsletter of the Dreiser Society ceased publication with the Spring 1997 issue. Issues of the newsletter are available on this web site as PDF files.
Copyright © 2012